Open top menu
Friday, January 17, 2014


Shortbread's always been a favourite in my family; the soft, crumbly texture and the slight melt-in-mouth feeling of each bite means that dozens of cookies are gone within the space of a week or so. Although my medical form states that I'm a tad allergic to pistachios, I've always been an avid fan of pistachios since forever. They're by far my favourite nut, with cashews next, but unfortunately, I am apparently most allergic to those two nuts..

I've been going through a phase where I'm completely sick of making White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies, because they're the classic favourite, so experimenting with different types of cookies and cakes has satisfied my baking needs recently. 

This cookie dough is really good eaten raw! I took a bite off the leftovers on the spoon and it was heaven..


I took a long time making sure my little shortbread mounds actually looked like mounds.. Trust me it's the hardest part, but the cookies turn out looking very unique and cute.

 
When shaping, try and shape them to be taller than you want them to be, because the butter in the dough will melt, and eventually the mounds will flatten and shrink a little bit in the oven.

 The before photo of the tall shortbread mounds.. and..

 ...The after shot of the cookies! They've definitely flattened during the baking process.. 

 Being the huge experimenting enthusiast that I am, I made two batches of these cookies at once, so don't be alarmed if you dont turn out with trays of cookies like this!



PISTACHIO SHORTBREAD MOUNDS
Makes 30

1 cup (110g) shelled pistachios, roasted
250g butter, softened
1 cup (160g) icing sugar
1 ½ cups (225g) plain flour
2 tbsp rice flour
2 tbsp cornflour
¾ cup (90g) almond meal
Preheat oven to 150C/130C fan forced. Line baking trays with baking paper.
Coarsely chop 2/3 of the nuts, and reserve the whole nuts for decoration.
Beat the butter and sifted icing sugar in a bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in sifted flour, almond meal and chopped nuts.
Shape level tablespoons of mixture into mounds, place about 3cm apart on oven trays. Note: Try and shape the dough into tall cones so that they will maintain a mound shape after the baking process. Press one whole nut on each mound, bake about 25 mins. Stand 5 mins, place on wire racks to cool.

Happy Holidays!
- Rachel

Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Lovely

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

0 comments